Throughout the history of the Arizona Cardinals, there have been many heartbreaking losses, but the team’s loss this past Sunday to the Buffalo Bills certainly ranks among one of the most painful.
Instead of looking at the negatives, though, I am going to focus on several of the positives that came out of this game.
1) Kevin Kolb was able to find Larry Fitzgerald open in the slot multiple times, a play that Kolb has had difficulty mastering in the past.
2) Kolb apparently is able to scramble and run for yardage when forced to — he gained 66 yards on five carries.
3) The Cardinals defense made stops when it counted, specifically the Bills last series in regulation when they went three and out (and gave the Cardinals the opportunity to try to win the game) and the first series in overtime (which more often than not can result in a winning score). In fact, except for one touchdown drive, the Cardinals did not allow the Bills to score at all in the last three quarters.
4) William Powell just might the running back the Cardinals so desperately need. He gained 70 yards on 13 carries, averaging more than 5 yards a carry.
5) Patrick Peterson picked off a pass in the fourth quarter which gave the Cardinals renewed hope. He also looked strong on the punts he was able to return, and it seems that it’s only a matter of time before he breaks a punt return for a touchdown.
6) Jay Feely kicked a 61-yard field goal. I know, he missed the potential game winning kick. However, he kicked a 61-yard field goal.
7) The fake punt called at the end of the first half was perfectly timed and very well executed, and may be the beginning of more trick plays (a Whisenhunt staple in previous years).
8) Daryl Washington continued to be wherever the ball carrier happened to be, registering 12 tackles and proving that he is as good as any linebacker in the NFL right now.