Arizona Cardinals: All I Want for Draftmas
Deshaun Watson could be a terrific player for some teams in the NFL
The Cardinals definitely need to address the quarterback position in preparation for life after Palmer. This year’s quarterback class is talented, but flawed. However, that doesn’t mean they shouldn’t target one of them.
More from Raising Zona
- Arizona Cardinals: Could Eric Bieniemy come to the desert?
- Would Jonathan Gannon be a good fit for the Arizona Cardinals?
- Arizona Cardinals: Budda Baker right in his take regarding the next coach
- Arizona Cardinals: 3 reasons new coach should want to work with Murray
- Arizona Cardinals special teams could be completely revamped in 2023
There is no denying the talent, heart, and leadership that Deshaun Watson has shown in his college career. His performance against Alabama in the national championship game is the stuff legends are made of. He has many of the traits teams want as well, including solid mechanics and an accurate arm.
Like the rest of the passers in this class, he’s not without his flaws, though. There are fair questions about his ability to make throws down the field. His accuracy is good, but inconsistent. Some teams might also worry about his size and injury risks.
Watson is a fine player, and my 30th overall player in this draft. But value isn’t there, and more to the point, he doesn’t really fit what the Cardinals do on offense. He has chance to be a very good professional quarterback, but not in Arizona.