Kyler Murray is one of the NFL’s top-paid quarterbacks
6) According to an article by Ben Solak of the Ringer, only 13 quarterbacks currently have a contract with an average annual value of $30M or more. Furthermore, only three of those quarterbacks have yet to win a playoff game: Derek Carr, Carson Wentz, and now Murray.
7) If you look at strictly guaranteed money of the three non-playoff game-winning quarterbacks, the comparison gets even more lopsided if the reported figure of $160MM is accurate. Wentz is guaranteed $108MM, while Derek Carr is only guaranteed slightly above $65MM.
8) Murray was also given a signing bonus of $29M in his new contract. As daunting of a number as that might be, it is not even in the top 10 regarding current quarterbacks contracts.
9) According to Tom Pelissero of NFL Network, instead of the $5.3M he would have gotten on the 4th year of his rookie contract, Murray now earns $30M in Year 1.
$69M over two years and $106.15MM over three years. If you compare this extension to that of Mahomes’ deal, Murray will make more in the first two years than Patrick Mahomes II will make in the first three years of his deal.
10) Had he not signed this contract extension, Murray was scheduled to make $5.3 million this season (with a salary cap of $11.4M), with the Cardinals already picking up his fifth-year option in 2023, which is guaranteed a salary of $29.7M.