The Arizona Cardinals add Jeff Mathews to their practice squad on Monday.
The 6 foot 4 229 pounds Mathews out of Cornell will head up the practice squad this week for the time being. It has been reported that Drew Stanton will be out for at least four weeks. But according to GM Steve Keim “Everyone heals different, so you just cant put a set time table on it” leaving some optimism of a faster Stanton return. Mathews will have at least the final two weeks of the season and perhaps a bye week to be ready in emergency duty in case Ryan Lindley and Logan Thomas do not pan out.
More from Cardinals News
- Arizona Cardinals: Could Eric Bieniemy come to the desert?
- Would Jonathan Gannon be a good fit for the Arizona Cardinals?
- Arizona Cardinals: Budda Baker right in his take regarding the next coach
- Arizona Cardinals: 3 reasons new coach should want to work with Murray
- Arizona Cardinals special teams could be completely revamped in 2023
Mathews was a very good college quarterback and holds numerous school records in passing history, which includes 18 Ivy league records. He passed for 11,284 yards and 72 touchdowns through 38 games.The kid has a good strong arm and was good enough to find his way in the NFL. Mathews was an undrafted free agent with the Atlanta Falcons and was released in August, then spent a brief one week stint with the Indianapolis Colts and was released.
What can he bring to the Cards as an emergency back-up? only GM Steve Keim and head Coach Bruce Arians can answer that question. The way things are going this season with the “next man up” it may not be wise to doubt any move this organization has made.