The Arizona Cardinals officially add three more free agents to the roster on Wednesday morning
As I promised last night the Arizona Cardinals delivered the three free agents that we knew the Cardinals were bringing in. They made it official on Wednesday morning agreeing to contracts with guard Mike Iupati, linebacker Sean Weatherspoon, and defensive tackle Corey Peters.
More from Cardinals Free Agency
- Daron Payne should be a free-agent target of Arizona Cardinals
- Arizona Cardinals could pursue Darius Slayton if Mike Kafka is hired
- Arizona Cardinals could pursue Eli Apple if Lou Anarumo comes aboard
- 5 big mistakes that doomed the Arizona Cardinals in 2022
- 5 difficult decisions Arizona Cardinals must make this offseason
As reported yesterday, Iupati signed a five-year $40 million deal with $22.5 million guaranteed. Weatherspoon signed a one-year deal and Peters signed a three-year deal.
Iupati leaves a once stacked San Francisco 49ers roster as he becomes on of the bigger names to leave the bay area. He is a great run blocker and average at best in pass protection. He was not only the most coveted offensive lineman in free agency but one of the most coveted free agents overall.
Weatherspoon is coming off a missed 2014 with the Atlanta Falcons due to a torn Achilles tendon but is expected to be back in full force for the Cardinals this season. The injury I’m sure is a big reason for only getting a one-year deal.
Peters gets a three year deal. He comes over from the Falcons as well. Not everyone is convinced adding Peters was better than keeping Dockett at defensive tackle.
Of course he’s talking about Dan Williams as well. He officially left the Arizona Cardinals today to join the Oakland Raiders. He will be missed in Arizona but he isn’t irreplaceable.
Certainly the Cardinals aren’t done. They already have visits planned by the previously mentioned defensive end Cory Redding, center A.Q. Shipley, and linebacker Nate Irving. Plus many expect the Cardinals to do something at running back as well, though no mentions have been made about anyone visiting at this point. Of course we will stay on top of that.
One last note, the Cardinals also re-signed long snapper Mike Leach. I love the longevity on that guy.
More from Raising Zona
- Arizona Cardinals: Could Eric Bieniemy come to the desert?
- Would Jonathan Gannon be a good fit for the Arizona Cardinals?
- Arizona Cardinals: Budda Baker right in his take regarding the next coach
- Arizona Cardinals: 3 reasons new coach should want to work with Murray
- Arizona Cardinals special teams could be completely revamped in 2023