Arizona Cardinals wide receiver Steve Breaston had surgery on his knee. Torn meniscus is the report. Now, he will be out for most likely the next three games. That includes this weeks game against the San Diego Chargers and next week against the New Orleans Saints. The bye week actually may come at the right time.
The question now is, what do the Arizona Cardinals do, if anything? I say, do nothing. There will be people that agree and disagree with me.
Here are my five reasons why they Cardinals should go with their current core of receivers.
1. Maybe throwing more often to Stephen Williams and Max Komar is exactly what Cards quarterback Derek Anderson needs right now. He had a great connection with Williams in the preseason. Yes, I know, that was the preseason. Right now though, wouldn't you'd rather have DA throwing to someone he had some familiarity with? I certainly would. That includes Komar as well.
2. Bringing in a free agent receiver would be tough. The receiver needs to know the playbook. Right now it seems as if the players we have are having a tough enough time doing that. I've heard names like Laveranues Coles and Antonio Bryant thrown around this afternoon. Please. Neither one of them is the answer and quite frankly am glad the Cards have no interest. Also, no to Matt Jones, Derek Hagan, and Kevin Curtis and whatever other name local sports media can think up.
3. Breaston is only out three weeks, which includes the bye. Let the Cards see if they can get through that stretch. No need to rock the boat with someone new only to see him depart once Breaston and even Early Doucet return.
4. Beanie Wells. With the return of Beanie Wells to the lineup, the Cards have the luxury of running more.
5. The NFC West. Say what? Yeah that's right, the NFC West. Let's remember what division the Cards are in. No need to go out and get a high priced free-agent, even if it is just for a month. The divisional competition allows the Cards to stay the course. If the San Francisco 49'ers or the Seattle Seahawks were 3-0 and the Cards 0-3, I might have a different take.
Topics: Antonio Bryant, Arizona Cardinals, Beanie Wells, Derek Anderson, Derek Hagan, Early Doucet, Kevin Curtis, Laveranues Coles, Matt Jones, Max Komar, New Orleans Saints, San Diego Chargers, Stephen Williams, Steve Breaston, The NFC West