Depending on who you talk to you could get several different answers
So, what really is the biggest need for the Arizona Cardinals as they head into the 2015 NFL Draft in a couple of weeks? Is it a pass rusher? Is it running back? Is it a cornerback? Is it a linebacker? Do they still need to address the offensive line?
More from Cardinals Draft
- 5 difficult decisions Arizona Cardinals must make this offseason
- Arizona Cardinals need to look long and hard at Will Anderson Jr.
- 4 Intriguing edge-rushers the Arizona Cardinals can pursue in 2023
- Arizona Cardinals: Fans should expect a different kind of draft in 2023
- Breaking down how many draft picks Arizona Cardinals will have in 2023
It all depends on who you are listening to. I think there is somewhat of a consensus as to what the Cardinals still need but what in reality is the biggest need? If it is a pass rusher, is it someone on the defensive line or can that guy be an outside linebacker?
There has been a lot of talk about running back. Many mock drafts have the Cardinals taking either Georgia’s Todd Gurley or Wisconsin’s Melvin Gordon. For the record I still have Gordon going number 24 to the Cardinals in the first round.
I saw a write up last week that thought the offensive line was still the biggest need to address. I don’t believe that to be the case after getting Mike Iupati in free agency from the San Francisco 49ers. I would not be surprised to see them add depth on the line after the release of Lyle Sendlein though.
Grantland says the biggest need is pass rusher. Certainly, that is one of the bigger needs but is it the biggest?
Mike Florio from Profootballtalk.com, Charlie Casserly from nfl.com, and Mel Kiper Jr. from espn.com all believe it is the running game that needs the boost and have the Cardinals going with Gurley or Gordon.
Clearly, there is no agreement from the talking heads. I get it though. These are areas of needs but even Casserly went as far in in his analysis to say the Cardinals running game needs the most help.
They do need the bruiser and a guy that get you yards and eat up carries. Andre Ellington will still be a big part of the running game but he needs help. So I tend to lean towards the thinking that running back is addressed first. They will address the other areas but to me the running game has to be helped the greatest.
More from Raising Zona
- Arizona Cardinals: Could Eric Bieniemy come to the desert?
- Would Jonathan Gannon be a good fit for the Arizona Cardinals?
- Arizona Cardinals: Budda Baker right in his take regarding the next coach
- Arizona Cardinals: 3 reasons new coach should want to work with Murray
- Arizona Cardinals special teams could be completely revamped in 2023