The Arizona Cardinals selected defensive lineman Rodney Gunter with the 116th pick on Saturday. The Cardinals traded up from their original 123rd pick to select Gunter out of Delaware State. Gunter has been noted by several draft analysts as both a defensive tackle and a defensive end. The Cardinals could use him in several positions at their disposal.
Arizona will now have another new face on the defensive line. After losing several defensive lineman in the offseason, Keim and Arians both knew they needed to draft a player at that position. Gunter now brings his 6-foot-5, 305 pound self to a team that could really use him after losing key players like Dan Williams and Darnell Dockett.
More from Cardinals Draft
- 5 difficult decisions Arizona Cardinals must make this offseason
- Arizona Cardinals need to look long and hard at Will Anderson Jr.
- 4 Intriguing edge-rushers the Arizona Cardinals can pursue in 2023
- Arizona Cardinals: Fans should expect a different kind of draft in 2023
- Breaking down how many draft picks Arizona Cardinals will have in 2023
Gunter was the SportsNetwork Preseason FCS All-America Second Team and Preseason All-MEAC Second Team selection. He ran a 5.00 second 40-yard dash at his pro day, and will fit in nicely for Arizona. His speed is off the charts for a 305 pound lineman. Along with a few sacks on his record, he will be a great for his gigantic size to help plug up the holes and slow down the run game.
The Cardinals still have three picks left today in the 2015 NFL draft.
Here are a few tweets to take a gander at:
More from Raising Zona
- Arizona Cardinals: Could Eric Bieniemy come to the desert?
- Would Jonathan Gannon be a good fit for the Arizona Cardinals?
- Arizona Cardinals: Budda Baker right in his take regarding the next coach
- Arizona Cardinals: 3 reasons new coach should want to work with Murray
- Arizona Cardinals special teams could be completely revamped in 2023