Arizona Cardinals Sign First-Round Pick D.J. Humphries
By Scott Allen
Arizona now has all of their draft picks under contract
Done deal. The Arizona Cardinals have signed their first-round draft pick in offensive lineman D.J. Humphries. With all the other draft picks under contract already it was only a matter of time before Humhpries signed.
Humphries signed a four-year deal with the Cardinals worth $8.9 million. He also received a $4.74 million signing bonus. Thats a decent deal for a guy who is going to have to fight for starting time right off the bat.
More from Cardinals Draft
- 5 difficult decisions Arizona Cardinals must make this offseason
- Arizona Cardinals need to look long and hard at Will Anderson Jr.
- 4 Intriguing edge-rushers the Arizona Cardinals can pursue in 2023
- Arizona Cardinals: Fans should expect a different kind of draft in 2023
- Breaking down how many draft picks Arizona Cardinals will have in 2023
The Arizona Cardinals didn’t surprise many by taking a tackle with the number 24 pick in the first-round of the 2015 NFL Draft. Once both running backs in Todd Gurley and Melvin Gordon had been taken, all bets were off on who the Cardinals were targeting with their first-round pick.
Humphries, a left guard at Florida, will need to move over to right guard and fight for a spot with Bobby Massie. The left guard position will be for Jared Veldheer who many felt was the team’s MVP in 2014.
The Cardinals line should be exciting to watch this year. With Humphries and Massie at right guard, Veldheer at left guard, Mike Iupati, Anthony Steen, and Jonathan Cooper at guard positions, and Ted Larsen and A.Q. Shipley fighting for starting center, all of a sudden the offensive line could become one of the most talked about positions for the Cardinals in 2015.
Let’s just hope Humphries can stay healthy. He missed seven games over the last two seasons at Florida. That’s a good chunk of two seasons and we all know what happened to Cooper in his rookie season and how far it has set him back. Cooper two years later still hasn’t regained his starting position full-time. Maybe this time we skip that part.
More from Raising Zona
- Arizona Cardinals: Could Eric Bieniemy come to the desert?
- Would Jonathan Gannon be a good fit for the Arizona Cardinals?
- Arizona Cardinals: Budda Baker right in his take regarding the next coach
- Arizona Cardinals: 3 reasons new coach should want to work with Murray
- Arizona Cardinals special teams could be completely revamped in 2023