The Arizona Cardinals will most likely be looking at a quarterback not early on but maybe in the lower-mid rounds of the 2014 NFL Draft, someone they can groom to be their franchise quarterback. With Carson Palmer having a decent season and holding his own, it is safe to say the Cards can take a year or two to groom someone to be their starter of the future.
A look at the quarterbacks that will be at the combine in a couple of weeks and you can probably find someone worth a second or third round pick that could be groomed. No they won’t get Johnny Manziel or Blake Bortels. Here’s a look at the top five guys the Cards should look at this year.
1. A.J. McCarron – Plain and simple, he knows how to win. Early on in his career I wasn’t too high on him but he could be a possibility if he slips out of the first round.
2. Aaron Murray – a high TD/low interception guy. He is a bit of a risk with an ACL injury but he could be a third or fourth rounder that the Cards might be able to get a steal on. Know any other SEC third rounders the Cards have been able to steal who people weren’t sure could make it? Amazing he’s expected to make a combine appearance after getting injured in November.
3. Jimmy Garoppolo – not the name most would think about but he’s likely a second or third round guy who could be better than Tony Romo. He’s already broken Romo’s Eastern Illinois records.
4. Tajh Boyd – I like this kid from Clemson a lot. He’s projected as a fifth rounder so if the Cards take him, it’ll definitely be a year or two before you see him on the field on a consistent basis. People don’t like his size, however he can sure move around and is overall considered a tough player.
5. David Carr – I certainly regard Carr higher than Boyd or Garoppolo, however I don’t think Carr is still around when the Cards are ready to draft a quarterback. He’ll probably be a high second-rounder at best. If he is still there when the Cards select, they should grab him no question