The Arizona Cardinals fulfilled some needs in free agency but they still have several holes to fill
The Arizona Cardinals cleared cap space to get themselves some big time players in free agency. They did make one big splash on the offensive line but other than that they really just added depth at other positions. Now, what still needs to be addressed in the NFL Draft April 30-May 2 in Chicago?
More from Cardinals Draft
- 5 difficult decisions Arizona Cardinals must make this offseason
- Arizona Cardinals need to look long and hard at Will Anderson Jr.
- 4 Intriguing edge-rushers the Arizona Cardinals can pursue in 2023
- Arizona Cardinals: Fans should expect a different kind of draft in 2023
- Breaking down how many draft picks Arizona Cardinals will have in 2023
The Cardinals were able to grab Mike Iupati, not only the best offensive lineman available in free agency but one of the overall top free agents available this year. However, they missed out on running back and didn’t find a pass rusher. They lost a cornerback but now the question there is do they replace Antonio Cromartie with Justin Bethel or Jerraud Powers or do they go out and find another top of the line corner?
So here are the needs the Cardinals need to address in the draft. Many say you should draft for need but rather the best player available. I think in the first and maybe the second round that is true but after that you need to take the best players at the positions in which you have need.
Running back – The Cardinals may be able to get the best player remaining in the draft and fulfill a need in the first round if they go get Melvin Gordon or Todd Gurley. I think one or both of them are still on the board at 24 in the first round. Gordon visited the Cardinals last week.
Defensive end – The Cardinals added some guys on the line at defensive tackle but they aren’t huge pass rushers, at least not recently. There are a great number of really good pass rushers in this draft. They could go get a guy like Vic Beasley or Shane Ray in the draft if they somehow fill running back in another way before the draft.
Cornerback – As I said, Bethel or Powers could end up getting the starting job with the departure of Cromartie but I’m not sure what the Cardinals thinking is here. I do think they at the very least add some depth and grab a corner in the later rounds.
Other positions that the Cardinals could pick up players in the draft could be at wide receiver. I think there are questions as to whether what the Cardinals have now is good enough. Never count the Cardinals out of taking a quarterback. I don’t think after seeing what they saw in 2014 that they are convinced that Logan Thomas has a future in the NFL. Then there is linebacker. I don;t think you can ever have enough depth at this position if your the Arizona Cardinals given the recent history.
More from Raising Zona
- Arizona Cardinals: Could Eric Bieniemy come to the desert?
- Would Jonathan Gannon be a good fit for the Arizona Cardinals?
- Arizona Cardinals: Budda Baker right in his take regarding the next coach
- Arizona Cardinals: 3 reasons new coach should want to work with Murray
- Arizona Cardinals special teams could be completely revamped in 2023